Tweets

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

From the bus: Unwritten rules of ridership!

I am going o start a new series. Blog posts about and from the bus.

I am a very happy Public Transportation Commuter. I honestly don't even know the price of gas because I can't remember the last time I had to fill up my truck. For the most part my commute is awesome! I can nap, read, work on my computer, play Bejeweled on my phone. These things are a a little be tougher when used to drive. People would honk, and scream. I didn't get it but anway on the bus it's easier. It takes a little longer, but it's also free. As a University Employee I get a bus pass (paid for by the parking permits on campus not your tax dollars)

My challenge today is this: Chubby people.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not critical. I am myself a chubby person. I like to eat and I don't like to exercise. This is a recipe for pudge. My problem is for several months I have been riding the bus and it does fill up occasionally. What I don't understand those is the apparent rule that Chubby men must sit together. There is one gentleman on my bus whom I am sure is probably a perfectly decent guy, but he seems to have a man crush on me. I will be sitting on a partly empty (meaning there are other double seats with no one in either seat) and this guy will plunk down and cozy up to me. He has tried to chat me up and despite me using the universal sign of disinterest, wearing my iPod headphones, (sometimes I don't even plug them into the iPod, I just wear them) this gentleman still persists in sitting next to me whenever the chance permits. Now, This wouldn't really be a problem if the bus seats were slightly larger or one of the two of us were slightly (read: in my case 40 lbs) smaller.

So, new rules for the bus! All persons must sit in an unocccupied set of seats until such time as no pair of seats remains unoccupied. Rule 2: All persons will be paired according to a volume system. Skinny people aren't allowed to sit next to each other but must be paired with a higher volume neighbor.

At least that's how it would be if I ran things.

No comments: