Tweets

Monday, October 5, 2009

Forgiveness: a lesser law

I have been thinking about forgiveness lately. I am going to propose a radical concept. Something that's truly crazy. Forgiveness is actually a lower law. We talk sometimes in the LDS Church about the higher law and the lesser law. Moses when he first went on the Mount recieved a higher law. A law similar to what Christ would later reveal in the flesh. So goes LDS tradition. Christ when he came raised the stakes. He taught that it was no longer enough to obey the law "Thou shalt not kill" but raised the bar. According to Christ we are to not even get angry with our brother or call him Raca!

Don't get me wrong, forgiveness is an important and vital law. It enables us to get to the higher law I think exists. Forgiveness though, in the sense most people use it, connotes singularity. You made me made, or hurt me, or lied, or didn't do the dishes when I asked and left me with a huge mess even though I have an important Relief Society Meeting tonight. "I forgive you" It kind of feels like. You have sinned and this one time I will extend my mercy toward you.

Charity, the pure love of Christ, extends beyond a single act of mercy. It is a trait, a lifestyle and a character of compassion. It is: I know you are an idiot and forgot to do the dishes and probably will again in the future, but I see you are also good and I love and care for you. Charity to me has a much more permanent sense to it. Not an acceptance or tolerance of sin, but an acceptance and compassion for the sinner. Don't get me wrong at all. I am not saying we don't need to forgive or that forgiveness isn't divine. What I am saying is that I believe that in many of our relationships we develop something higher (or deeper) than simple, singular forgiveness a compassion that fills us with understanding and love of the people around us..warts and all as my mother always said.

No comments: