Tweets

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Dogs in public!


I got in a big discussion yesterday. It was all about something else at first and like most of these rambling discussions turned into me arguing a stance I wasn't sure I had before the topic came up. From an off-handed comment about the fact that a hotel had pet friendly rooms, which I applauded, because I have traveled with my dog and like having them with me.

Well that was the wrong opinion to have. I needed to have a different opinion. I remarked that I found no reason at all that I shouldn't be able to take my dog where I want. Someone else commented that they were certain a lawsuit would ensue. I agreed. Only, my opinion was that someone who was denied access to someplace with a companion animal (not a service animal) would sue and probably win. The other opinion expressed was that somebody would get sued for bringing their dog somewhere. Well that already happens. My side of the argument is: if my dog is better behaved and cleaner than your child why should I be denied???

And don't tell me it ain't happened. I was at my son's award ceremony the other day. Sitting right in front of me was a wonderful beautiful young girl. Who had boogers encrusted all over her face, was coughing and sneezing, and stank of .... well.... fertilizer. She and her sibling ran about the place mucking up all they could. Spreading disease and germs far and wide. I think even the pigs would have been worried about getting the flu from these kids. Mom??? you may ask. Sitting and chatting!

Now, I am not here to argue that those kids should be denied access to the school event, but why can't my dog come? This is a public building, it's my dog, and my son's dog. He is well behaved, clean, and doesnt' shed. But he's the menace?

We have distanced ourselves to much from the reality that life is messy. Life is dirty, animals are part of the environment that we also belong to.

"Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made. "
Roger Caras

No comments: