Tweets

Sunday, November 9, 2008

I miss this blog...

Man, I miss this blog.  I have filled up a basket full of ideas to blog about and I have some great photo's but no time.  My last blog post was the day before I found out I had to have my online class up and launched a full week before I thought I did.  So I have spent the last few weeks getting that up. 

I find it sort of ironic that I am teaching and Internet Safety Class online, but it's been fun.  I have already gotten some very good ideas and responses.  One person commented that Internet Safety is kind of like swimming safety.  I can fence in the pool, guard it, watch it and teach kids the dangers of the pool, but probably the best way to keep them safe is to teach them to swim.  I would also argue that it's a lot easier to teach them to swim if I am in the pool with them.

It's amazing to me how powerful it is to have my own personal voice through this blog.  Even though I know no one is actually reading it.

Well, I have stayed away from the political stuff partly becuase I am not very Partisan, and partly because I find myself so conflicted.  I have a lot of friends and neighbors who are very Republican and they are saying things like:
  • "What's going to happen now?"
  • "Maybe he'll surprise us all and be great"
  • "After 8 years of a living a nightmare, I have woken up to find my dreams have finally come true"
Well, my opinion, for what it is worth.  I honestly believe the last 8 years have been largely difficult, but not nightmarish.  It has been hard, but I don't feel like the world has been approaching doom.  I also don't think we are approaching doom now either.  Barak Obama will probably do a fine job as President and will have to deal with the cards dealt him, just like all past President's before him.
My faith lies in the people of America.  We are a people who, by and large, are honestly concerned with having good in our lives and the lives of our neighbors.  There is more tolerance, respect and a better standard of living for the average person throughout the world today than there was a hundred years ago for those same people.  Yes there is still a lot of inequity.  The poor are still poor, but if you look at the quality of life or all people I believe it is better.  There are lots of doomsayers, but if we can see one thing through history it is that life prevails.  Humans, adapt and we succeed.  Do I have worries and concerns and feelings of doubt?  Yes!!! but overwhelming all of that I have a fundamental confidence in the basic goodness of people as a whole

No comments: