Tweets

Monday, November 24, 2008

Monday Musings: Is Religion Technologous or is Technology religious?

I wrote a few weeks ago about my talk during church about media. Well, I bumped into a talk on TED about how religion is technology. Most people would disagree with that because of a narrow definition of technology. Most people perceive technology as electronic gadgets, but my favorite definition of technology is:
"A product or process that is used to: solve problems, meet opportunities, fulfill curiosity or extend human abilities"
Using this definition religion is without a doubt a technology it is a process that extends human abilities. I am able to do more with religion than without it.

This gentleman's discussion was interesting particularly given the context. It was given in 2003. After the 9/11 attacks on the U.S. but before the launch of the Irag phase of the war on Terror.

No comments: